Alongside literacy, numeracy is a key skill for life, and at Hayeswood First School we aim to develop in our children:
- A positive attitude towards mathematics
- A sense of enjoyment in working with number
- A confidence in their abilities to use and apply mathematical skills to answer questions and to solve problems
- Understanding of, and familiarity with, number and calculation
- Efficient and effective mental arithmetic skills, enabling children to progress appropriately from informal written methods to formal written ‘algorithms
The new mathematics national curriculum has a clear emphasis on developing pupils’ ability to learn, recall use and apply key facts such as number bonds and multiplication tables knowledge to solve a range of problems in different contexts.
Above all else, we want our pupils to develop expertise in problem solving and also to develop flexibility of thinking and resilience, so that if the first chosen approach is not fruitful, learners rise to the challenge of finding an alternative approach.
We take a 'Singapore' approach to the delivery of mathematics within the National Curriculum, using 'Maths - No Problem!' as our core teaching resource.